Pinkerton & Laws in the Community ...
UNITED METHODIST CHILDRENS HOME
The United Methodist Children’s Home on Columbia Drive is the second oldest in the state, founded in 1871 in Norcross as a home for children orphaned during the Civil War. In 1873 the home moved to Decatur and continued providing shelter and love to many orphaned children. The home, Leigh Cottage, suffered a major setback when the 70-year old cottage was destroyed by arson in 2007. This year P&L has been the lead Contractor for Glencastle Construction in the rebuilding of Leigh Cottage. With over 1,522 volunteers from 62 churches and 18 colleges a total of $136,000 was raised through volunteer labor, drawing workers as far as California and New York.
Click image for larger view.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution featured an incredible story in their June 13, 2010 edition describing the positive impact of the home in the life of a young boy name Jeff Waits who lived at the Cottage with his brothers. Having an alcoholic father, Jeff said his mother was not able to care for him and his three brothers so she tearfully left them at the home returning 5 years later with a new job enabling her to reunite her family. When Jeff heard about the rebuilding of Leigh Cottage 57 years later, he decided to put his paying jobs on hold and logged over 600 volunteer hours of painting.
The majority of the funding for the home came from the state, the balance from churches, individuals, and corporate donations. When Leigh Cottage reopens it will house eight young women between the ages of 17 and 24 to help them transition from foster care to independent living.